Mould can wreak havoc with walls, ceilings and soft furnishings. It can also cause unpleasant odours and make people ill, especially those with weak immune systems and respiratory problems.
Mould thrives in buildings that are damp. It is usually caused by excess moisture in buildings, which is often the result of basic daily activities such as showering, cooking and drying clothes without adequate ventilation.
Mould thrives in wet environments and can be caused by flooding, water leaks, condensation and poor ventilation. It can also be caused by overgrown vegetation or a lack of light in an area. It releases spores that are easily breathed in, making it a serious problem for asthma sufferers and those with allergies.
Mould spores detach from the surface of the mould and are then carried through air flow, which is why it is important to ensure your property has adequate ventilation. This can be done by opening windows and doors to allow the air to circulate.
As well as being unsightly, mould can cause serious health issues and requires specialised restoration work to be carried out. Mould can also be a sign of underlying problems such as damp and structural defects, which may need to be addressed in order to prevent further damage. This is why it is essential to call in a qualified surveyor for a damp and mould inspection.
There is no doubt that mould spores can cause a range of health problems. The spores produce mycotoxins that can trigger inflammatory responses in the body. The reactions can be mild or severe. Symptoms may include a runny nose, sneezing, asthma attacks and skin irritation. The spores also can trigger headaches in some people.
The fungus can grow in a variety of conditions, including a damp house or basement and poor ventilation. It often grows in attics and cellars, but it can also be found in bathrooms, kitchens and laundry rooms. Mould can be hard to detect because it isn’t always visible.
Some studies have shown that mould remediation can reduce respiratory symptoms. However, the quality of the evidence is low. It is important to have any moisture problem in the house fixed because the fungus can spread quickly. Various factors can affect how much the fungus affects a person, including genetics and immune tolerance.
Mould can be removed from various surfaces such as plaster walls (provided the mould has not penetrated through to the other layers of the wall) by using a specialist fungicidal treatment. This treatment is far more effective than bleach as it kills the mould at source rather than just wiping the surface clean.
Moisture is the key to mould growth, and even a slight damp environment will encourage the growth of mould spores in your home. The most common cause of mould in homes is water ingress due to leaks or flood damage, however condensation caused by everyday activities such as showering, cooking or drying clothes can also generate sufficient moisture to allow mould spores to grow.
It is important to deal with any signs of mould growth as quickly as possible, for the sake of your health. Prolonged exposure to mould spores can lead to asthma and other respiratory issues. It can also aggravate autoimmune diseases and cause brain fog or insomnia in some people. Detailed testing, proper sealing of contaminated areas and efficient removal methods are required to ensure the problem is dealt with effectively.
The best way to prevent mould is to address the underlying cause. This is why it’s vital to use a service that can carry out detailed damp surveys as well as effective mould remediation.
The conditions that support mould growth include organic material, moisture and low airflow. These conditions are often hidden behind surface finishes, in voids and within stud partitions. They are also usually hidden in areas of the property that can’t be easily accessed.
Mould spores are carried from room to room in the same way that dust is, making it difficult to eradicate them completely. Wiping mould down typically causes it to re-sporulate aggressively into the air, contaminating other surfaces and increasing mycotoxin levels in the home.
Leaving mould untreated increases the risks to health, and prolonged exposure can lead to respiratory dysfunction and flu-like symptoms in healthy people. A professional mould remediation service can provide a thorough solution including fogging and sealing odours to prevent future growth.mould remediation london